We offer Learning Disability & Autism Awareness sessions in a group format, delivered by two people who have learning disabilities & autism and Mat or Annie.
We also offer Employment Support to people with learning disabilities and can provide job coaches too. For more information on this side of our business, click on the “Employment & Job Coaching Support” tab at the top of the page.
We’ll tailor our training sessions to who or what your business is. If you’re a customer facing organisation, you may want your staff to develop their communication skills and build their confidence when meeting, serving and / or working with people with learning disabilities.
Alternatively we can support your business with implementing your diversity policies and/or Corporate Social Responsibility policies (CSR) by providing training to management and staff on all aspects of learning disability, from policy and history to accessible communication methods.
Here’s a guide to what a half or whole day’s training content could look like.
Half Day “Learning Disability Awareness” Content
(Please note that all presentations can be adjusted to suit your needs)
Our half day presentation’s last approximately 3 hours (including a short break).
During a half day session, we can give trainees an insight into:
- Who we are – A snap shot of our lives – an oversight of our trainers (who have a learning disability, Adam & Mike) and how they live their lives and their achievements.
- Inclusion – what this means to people with a learning disability and how we as “society” can aid people to feel more included in their community.
- Empowerment – the definition and how we can support people with learning disabilities (individually and holistically) to feel empowered.
- Advocacy – what it is, the common types of advocacy and how it can help a person to make decisions and take control of their life.
- Attitudes – we look at Britain’s attitudes towards people with learning disabilities (positive and negative), how attitudes are changing due to media exposure etc as well as discussing Hate and Mate Crime.
- Communication – we cover the most common forms of communication, how best to put this into practise when communicating with a person who has a learning disability and making written information accessible.
Whole Day “Learning Disability Awareness” Content
Our whole day presentation’s last approximately 7 hours (this is allowing 1 hour for lunch, not provided).
During a whole day session, we can cover all of the topics noted in the half day session (opposite), plus also cover in more depth:
- Communication – we cover the most common forms of communication, how best to put this into practise when communicating with a person who has a learning disability and making written information accessible. Why we communicate, how different forms of communication can be misunderstood by a person who has a learning disability and the barriers to communication, plus much more.
- Policy (National and Local) – we talk about the changes in services and support available to people with learning disabilities, on a National scale and how it is affecting local authorities to deliver support to people with learning disabilities.
- Employment – from what support is available to a person with learning disabilities to search and secure employment, to the support mechanisms that are now in place to encourage employers to employ people who have learning disabilities. We look at the way that the Government has made funding more available through schemes such as Access to Work to aid the transition in employment.
If you would like us to focus more on a specific area, please get in touch and we can always tailor our presentations to suit your business / trainee’s needs.
We are fully insured to deliver training on your premises.